Sunday, October 28, 2012

Meet Sandy.


Ignorance is bliss, but even with the distrust of meteorologists I developed living in Colorado, I can't deny the emergency preparation press in the news ahead of Sandy's arrival tomorrow.  I doubt the fact that I started watching The Walking Dead yesterday has anything to do with this, but I can't help but draw an analogy to last year's CDC Zombie Preparedness campaign.  Store water, top off your car's gas tank, hoard non-perishable food, close/board up your windows, prepare for candle-lit séances, get out your flashlights, make sure you have batteries for your portable blender, etc.  The part I'm mostly concerned about is the power outage potential.  It's ridiculous enough to not have internet access these days, but to not have power is just uncivilized.  I recognize that I'm very spoiled from Colorado: most of us would just hole up in our homes with our buried utilities and we'd be just fine - in fact, it was fun as long as there weren't any leaks, breaks, or freak-outs.

We moved into our permanent housing last weekend, and we received our long term storage (household effects, or HHE) on Monday.  The resulting HHE explosion was pretty hilarious until the sobering reality of the unpacking and ongoing downsizing efforts hit.  We've made solid headway this week, but the still somewhat-disheveled look of the place has a somewhat apocalyptic appearance (again, not Walking Dead-influenced I'm sure).  I won't be able to use my latest excuse for much longer: "We shouldn't bother unpacking everything if Sandy's just going to make a mess of it again."  Actually that hasn't worked at all.

Our move-in had a classic example of "best-laid plans" when our internet installer wasn't able to complete the work we'd scheduled because our facility _didn't have keys_ to one of their own utility rooms.  It was a simple example of needing to be flexible, and unfortunately it was a recurring example since the connection went out later in the week and they again didn't have the keys.  It was odd, to put it mildly, but it was also an exclamation point on our new renting lifestyle.

Early in the week when we were without home internet, we climbed 3 to 4 couches (depending on your route selection and ankle strength) to decompress a bit and sit in front of our tv.  And I do mean RIGHT in front - the couch was touching the table with the tv.  I connected my iPhone to the tv so we could watch Netflix, and let me tell you, if your home internet access is out but you can get Netflix to stream to your tv through your phone, I assure you, it feels _exactly*_ like you've cheated death: totally awesome.  (* - I'm assuming this is true; I'll confirm after Skyfall comes out on November 9th)

Speaking of all this and looking at the cloudy skies, I guess I'll post this now.

Work's good.

(This post written while listening to The Rolling Stones Gimme Shelter.)

No comments:

Post a Comment