Sunday, September 29, 2013

American style

In the last two weeks, I had the rare opportunity to meet two designated ambassadors before they headed to their respective new posts.  The meetings were held to discuss OBO issues and projects that will affect them.  That was very interesting, and they were very nice of course.  My role in the meeting was pretty straightforward as the construction projects are constrained by the scope of the contracts.  It was great to get exposure to that meeting environment.

I took a class on protocol and etiquette yesterday, which was also very interesting.  Although I’m guessing it’s unlikely that construction engineers get invited to many formal dinner parties or receptions, you just never know.  Plus, they had a lot of other useful advice, including business cards, the proper use of silverware with both American and Continental styles, and how to handle a dinner party when a guest appears with more wives than expected.  I couldn't quite convince the presenter to say the American style is better than the Continental style, but I tried.
 
 
(This post written while listening to James Brown Hot Pants.)

No comments:

Post a Comment