Sunday, September 30, 2012

End of orientation!

Orientation Week 3 is over and we're all officially sworn in!  Looking back on it, orientation was a pretty heavy crush of information, but I don't see a better way to handle it; there's a lot of information to cover.  It was great to get to know so many new people and I'm looking forward to working with them in the future.  Several of us went out for happy hour Friday night after the swearing-in ceremony.  Good times, and I'll just leave it at that.

This weekend we finally had a chance to relax since we decided on permanent housing last weekend.  Yesterday we walked from Roosevelt Island to the Foggy Bottom metro station via Georgetown, which was a nice tour of the area.  I'm not sure which was more strange: seeing deer pooping in the swamp on Roosevelt Island, or the ridiculously long line out the door of the Georgetown Cupcake shop (considering the street value of their product is $29 per dozen).

Just when I was starting to get used to orientation training, it's over and time to focus on normal work.  This week will start with a couple of days of general security overseas training, then I'll start working at the Overseas Buildings Operations building.  My regional assignment is still to be determined, but hopefully I'll find that out this week.  It'll be good to dig into the real work, I'm looking forward to it!

(This post written while listening to Manu Katché Silence (remix).)

No comments:

Post a Comment