Monday, September 10, 2012

Liftoff!

Now I'm REALLY in!  I have a badge so this MUST be real.  In fact, to prove it, here's a scan of it:

********************
********************
********************
********************
********************

***PHOTO REDACTED***
********************
********************
********************
********************
********************


We were briefed on the State Department's security protocols and concerns, including suggestions on information posted to blogs.  Many of the suggestions are common sense, however there's a line between acceptable and not that I'll need to research more to avoid the latter and its associated separation anxiety.

(insert a Terry Gilliam Flying Circus interlude between skits here)

Suffice to say that I (and many others) arrived on time, was sworn in (among other prepositions I'm sure), and left with my first badge since cub scouts.  I'd attach it to the fridge to show off to my family if I didn't think a magnet would ruin it.

Tomorrow I'm off to the Foreign Service Institute to begin detailed administrative training.  The next big items on the agenda are to select a health plan and figure out what to do about permanent housing.  I heard a rumor that OBO might want 1 or 2 engineers to leave immediately, so that might put a hold on housing planning for all of us non-local Construction Engineers until after the orientation, we'll see.

(This post written while listening to Bruce Cockburn [covering] Always Look on the Bright Side of Life.)

No comments:

Post a Comment